Close this search box.

e-Transfer —


Any plans to develop on your property require you to obtain a Development Permit from the RM of Big River No. 555. In many instances a Building Permit may also be required and Sewage, Moving and/or Demolition Permits may also be necessary.


Permit Overview

 Development Permit is a document authorizing a development pursuant to our Zoning Bylaws. Development permits outline your plans for your property and tell us about your proposed building sizes and placement, including any temporary structures you are planning for. This ensures you develop according to rules allowed for your area, and place all structures within the allowable distances from neighboring properties. Development Permits do not expire, although they may need to be resubmitted if you decide to change your site plan or erect a new structure.


Building Permit authorizes the construction of all or part of any building, and will not be granted unless a Development Permit is in place.  All building plans are reviewed by our inspection company, and must include details about the size and materials being used for the build. Depending on what you are building, sewage and power permits may also be required. Often, if you hire a contractor for work, they will have the details required to complete your building permit application. Building Permits are valid for a period of 12 months upon issue, with a renewal option available for a fee.

Moving Permits are required any time a building larger than 100 square feet is being moved within the RM of Big River. Our operators plan for ongoing projects and maintenance, and acquiring a moving permit ensures you will not face penalties for obstructing work or traffic in the area. The RM understands the need for flexibility when scheduling large moves, and by contacting us ahead of moving you ensure we can help best accommodate your plans.

Demolition Permits are required any time a permanent structure is being demolished or removed from your property. Demolition permits ensure property safety procedures are in place, take into consideration neighboring properties during demolition, and allow the RM Office to update your land file for beneficial tax reassessment purposes. 

Sewage/Septic Permit and payment are sent to the Sask. Health Authority as stated on the application attached to the permit. Approved permits are forwarded directly to the RM office, and are added to permanent land files once in place. These permits must be received by the RM office before any work may begin.